Ever had a dessert craving in the middle of the night? Craving something chocolatey but don’t feel like spending money/leaving the comfort of your home/interacting with other organisms willingly? You’ve come to the right place!
This recipe is perfect when your sweet tooth, or in my case SWEET TEETH, are aching for some sugar indirectly aka not from a spoon. Having straight up sugar is lazy, useless, regret inducing and uncreative, which is a word. I checked. I would recommend everyone to add some sort of topping to this because I do think having it straight up might not be the best idea ever.
So, before I get to the recipe, I will get to the possibilities of toppings to reduce the number of possible sad faces. You might try:
- Ice cream aka YASSSSSS this is the best choice
- Peanut butter. Experiment with both crunchy and smooth. Also try cooling the peanut butter, if you don’t already, which makes it taste even better with the fresh outta the microwave cake.
- Whipped cream?
- Some sort of frosting. If you’ve baked recently and ended up with some leftover frosting WHICH IS ALWAYS, use some here!
- Sweetened condensed milk. You might even try spooning some out onto a bowl and mixing it with cocoa powder to make a little glaze/icing. This is great because you can tweak the amounts to your liking. Add little by little and taste until you’ve achieved what you’ve wanted in life.
These are some low effort toppings I can think of, but if you have more ideas, please let me know in the comments and help create a wider variety of mug cake toppings which will lead to more happiness.
Now for the recipe, there are things you can leave out and/or add in and it can also easily be halved or doubled! Yay!
Do use a microwave safe mug for a lower chance of explosions and having to clean.
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe (Adapted from Simply Recipes)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, though feel free to add a half tablespoon more.
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg (Optional)
- Instant coffee (Optional)
- Chocolate chips/chunks (Optional)
- Chopped nuts (LOL) of your choice (Optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of an almost flavorless oil (Vegetable, canola etc.)
- Splash of vanilla extract (1/8-1/4 of a teaspoon, experiment with the amounts)
- M&Ms (Optional)
- Chocolate such as Reese’s pieces, Hershey’s kisses etc. (Yasssss unintentional rhyming)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in the mug, or a separate bowl if you prefer. This includes the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, cinnamon and/or nutmeg and baking powder.
- Add in the water, oil and vanilla. If you want to add some coffee to it, mix it with the water and then add it to the dry ingredients. Don’t go overboard with the amount of coffee as that may lead to regrets.
- Add the nuts and/or chocolate chips if you’re doing that. Add a small amount if adding nuts, and an irrationally and almost insanely large amount if adding chocolate chips because duh. Stir the additives in a little.
- Bake in the microwave for a minute and 40 seconds on a 1000 watt microwave setting, but it gets the job on a 900 watt setting with the same amount of time.
- Add toppings if desired, Instagram this beauty and dig in.